I got to know Maritza through her 14-year old grandson, Brandon. Maritza is one of the small group leaders for the women's program. On Monday, we began talking about our families. I could tell we had a lot in common, including a deep love for God and for our families. Despite a huge language barrier, our hearts spoke in spite of words.
On Tuesday, I brought my picture album to share with Maritza. I showed her pictures of my grown children and grandchildren. We talked through a young man, Michael, who is learning English while teaching me Spanish. We laughed and hugged, telling each other that we are "amigas!"
This morning, Taylor (young missionary living here from FUMC-LV) called me over as Maritza presented me with some beautiful earrings. Taylor told me that they are a gift. I grabbed Maritza, giving her a big hug! Taylor helped me put on the earrings. I immediately wanted Maritza to have my earrings so I gave them to her. She laughed and hugged me, saying, "Amigas forever" in Spanish!
What an incredible experience of God's love through friendship that is only spoken heart to heart!
What a beautiful, tender story! Thank you! That states Jesus' love exactly! Isn't it a great feeling to feel love in your heart so fully! I'm so proud of the great job that the women are doing to spread love beyond barriers!
ReplyDeleteWow! How cool is that! What a blessing!
ReplyDelete